Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
aspire 5552 no internet

Aspire 5552 No Internet
Alright then, here's one. I have an Acer Aspire 5222 laptop and one day I was on the internet via ethernet cable. I unplug the cable and go to the living room with it and the internet stops working, despite it being very wifi capable. I go back and plug in the ethernet cable, still not working. I decide to system restore, still no internet. I try to reinstall the pertinent drivers and they say the hardware doesn't exist so they won't install. I wipe the computer and reinstall the OS and the same thing happens when I get to the drivers based on the internet.
So I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem, maybe just a loose wire, but what say you peoples? I'm mostly just concerned about cracking it open without targeting something specifically as I find sometimes I'm just computer competent enough to think I know what I'm doing and in fact break something.
yea i think you are right but its odd that the Ethernet plug and the WiFi don't work. is it just the WiFi that dose not work or is it both. if it is just the WiFi there might be a spot on the bottom of the laptop with screws to open just a section that holds the wireless card which would look something like this

if you can get to the wireless card i would take it out and clean the gold contacts on it with some rubbing alcohol and some q-tips and put it back in. and try. also make sure the cables are connected to the wireless card ok the cables are the antenna which runs around the screen of the laptop. also i am attaching the drivers for the wireless card so that you can try them again to make sure you have the right ones. if you need help tearing the laptop apart upload some pics of all sides so i can see how its put together. ps laptops are just a big jig-saw puzzle.

drivers.

.zip   Wireless LAN_Atheros_9.0.0.202_W7x86W7x64_A.zip (Size: 1.82 MB / Downloads: 586)

.zip   Wireless LAN_Broadcom_5.100.249.2_W7x86W7x64_A.zip (Size: 1.84 MB / Downloads: 645)

also if you can give me as much info as possible on the laptop like version of windows 32 or 64bit.
Hrmmm duly noted. However, I've already installed the drivers I have multiple times since I've got them stored on an external HD, although I downloaded them all from the company website. I know exactly where that card is, it's right between he hard drive and memory, I've seen it and part of me wondered if I should replace it or if I should try for something else. I'll try to get some rubbint alcohol in the next couple days, but in my experience streak free windex works well in cleaning video game cartridges, would that or acetone also work? Because I have a plethora of the former and some of the latter.
THe whole number on the aspire is 5552-3691 and I installed Windows 7 pro 64-bit on it. I've also upgraded the memory to 8gb and replaced the hard drive once since it went buggy and I happened to have a spare lying around. I admit I considered that same card, but part of me was concerned that, since it stopped working right after I pulled out the ethernet cable, I pulled a wire loose there somehow.
When I get some rubbing alcohol, which could be a week or so (Don't get paid till the second and my rent is due soon.), I'll try applying it but in the mean time all I have is streak free windex.... I guess I could try that.
(07-25-2013, 10:19 AM)Gaunt Dusk Wrote: Hrmmm duly noted. However, I've already installed the drivers I have multiple times since I've got them stored on an external HD, although I downloaded them all from the company website. I know exactly where that card is, it's right between he hard drive and memory, I've seen it and part of me wondered if I should replace it or if I should try for something else. I'll try to get some rubbint alcohol in the next couple days, but in my experience streak free windex works well in cleaning video game cartridges, would that or acetone also work? Because I have a plethora of the former and some of the latter.
THe whole number on the aspire is 5552-3691 and I installed Windows 7 pro 64-bit on it. I've also upgraded the memory to 8gb and replaced the hard drive once since it went buggy and I happened to have a spare lying around. I admit I considered that same card, but part of me was concerned that, since it stopped working right after I pulled out the ethernet cable, I pulled a wire loose there somehow.
When I get some rubbing alcohol, which could be a week or so (Don't get paid till the second and my rent is due soon.), I'll try applying it but in the mean time all I have is streak free windex.... I guess I could try that.

give the windex a try but make sure you use q tips or something similar. but even if you ripped out the ethernet plug from the laptop that has nothing to do with the wireless card they are not in any way connected so with the wireless card it is either a bad connection on the board, a faulty or bad driver for the os you are running, or a bad card. can i ask what is the original os that came with the laptop it should say on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. sometimes if you upgrade the os from the original one drivers are different.
ok to eliminate all driver issue click on start menu then right click on computer then click manage. once that window opens click device manager and make sure nothing has a yellow exclamation mark next to it or any other warning or flag.
It isn't a driver issue. If it was I think it would have been cleared out when I reinstalled the entire operating system and all the drivers and then tried reinstalling the drivers a second time. The internet driver just said the hardware doesn't exist.

The original OS was just Windows 7, the regular home edition, although it's labled "home prem OA". The acer driver site is nice enough to provide drivers for any OS you install in there (Not that I think the home edition and professional drivers are different). Not to mention the fact that I had, at that time, had the computer dual booted with Ubuntu. Ubuntu had the exact same problem and wouldn't have had the same problem if it was a driver issue. But just to be sure I wiped the whole hard drive and replaced with Windows 7 pro only.
ALso I'm having a hard time removing the stupid card. It's right there on the top but there's a little screw holding the card in place and it won't budge. I'm going at it with my tiniest screwdriver and all I'm doing is stripping it slowly. HOwever, I did finally get the bloody alcohol since my roommate refused to let me use the windex as it's "hers".
I hate it when I have stuck screws.

I've been looking around for a guide to getting out the ethernet card of my specific model but for whatever reason I can't find one.